Microsoft have released a statement in response to the recent reports of unsolicited, IT security related phone calls that people around the country have been receiving.
The following advice is given by Microsoft:
- Be suspicious of unsolicited calls related to a security problem, even if they claim to represent a respected company.
- Never provide personal information, such as credit card or bank details, to an unsolicited caller.
- Do not go to a website, type anything into a computer, install software or follow any other instruction from someone who calls out of the blue.
- Take the caller’s information down and pass it to the authorities.
- Use up-to-date versions of Windows and application software.
- Make sure security updates are installed regularly.
- Use a strong password and change it regularly.
- Make sure the firewall is turned on and that antivirus software is installed and up to date.
- Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antivirus product and is available here.